Darwin already said it: the only species that are likely to grow and prosper are those who are able to adapt to their environment, and the ecosystem of marketing is no exception. Today it is more important than ever for marketers to keep up with new trends, technologies, strategies and campaign methods, especially in the online environment. Marketing directors, adapt yourself or nobody will understand you!
Social media, inbound marketing, native advertising…in recent years we have experienced a true "digital revolution" that has completely changed our understanding of marketing. We have more data than we can ever, we can communicate in real time with our users, and preferences and paradigms change within a matter of months. Amid all this turbulence, the marketing director should be able to carry the brand to success without neglecting the flexibility in terms of strategies and actions.
The problem is that lessons learned at university, business school or working in an offline environment no longer apply. If you work as a marketer, understand and live the new online world, it is essential to communicate with customers, with employees of your company and even your children. What can you do to adapt to the new marketing landscape?
- Practice, practice, practice. You cannot explain a world that you no longer form apart of to others, nor should you propose strategies based apps if they are not part of your daily life. Find new ways to integrate digital into your daily life and see what it brings to your life ... and what you can bring to your advertisers and users.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. The absolute certainties no longer exist, and the only way to gain experience is by doing experiments. Dare to innovate and learn more from your mistakes than your successes.
- Analyzes the results. Experience is useless unless you know exactly what is working and what is not. Before launching your new campaign, you have to decide which metrics you will use to evaluate results and establish frequent checks to see how it is evolving. If something does not work, you can always adjust your strategies.
- Lose the fear of change. In the current environment of online marketing, the biggest mistake is to cling on to the old ways of doing things and keep waiting for them to work. A positive attitude to change is one of the best assets to make your job easier as a marketing director. Good luck!
- Learn from others. We're all in the same boat and we can benefit from the knowledge acquired by others. A simple way to harness the wisdom of others is through recent digital marketing studies. For example, you can use them to guide you on when and when not to publish on social networks. Take our Digital Marketing Trends 2016 survey below and we will send you the results to improve your strategy for the New Year!
David Tomás @davidtomas